Saturday, January 30, 2010

Warner Retires

NFL Quarterback Kurt Warner explained the connection between his faith and his career yesterday as he announced his retirement.

“As always, as it started in 1999 when I was up on the podium holding up a trophy (following his Super Bowl win with the St. Louis Rams), the first thing I want to do is give thanks to God. My Lord Jesus brought me here. I know he brought me here for a purpose. And it’s been an amazing ride. I don’t think I could have dreamt out that it would have played out as it had. But I’ve been humbled everyday that I’ve woke up for the last 12 years and amazed that God would choose to use me to do what He’s given me the opportunity to do over 12 years. So I hope that when people think back over my career – maybe it’s just over the next couple of weeks as they reflect on it or maybe it’s years to come – that that’s what they remember more than anything else. Not the way I threw the football, not particular games that I won. But that they remember that here’s a guy that believed, that worked hard, and – although things didn’t always go in his favor – he continued to press through. And with his faith in himself and with his faith in God, he was able to accomplish great things. I’m excited about what lies in front of me. I’m excited about spending more time with my family and seeing what God’s going to do next."

Analysts say Warner is a sure bet for the NFL Hall of Fame after winning three MVP awards, a Super Bowl, and the second-highest completion percentage in NFL history.

No comments: