Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Rite

Anthony Hopkins says he used to be an atheist but now, "I'm not sure what I believe. I think there's something at the back of everything. And I think the film presents an interesting debate, and I respect people's beliefs, whether they're atheists or believers." The film the actor is referring to is titled The Rite. He reprises his role as Hannibal Lecter in the movie that opens Friday. Hopkins says a real exorcist, a priest, was on the set for consultation during the production. The story focuses on a young deacon played by Colin O'Donoghue who isn't sure there is a God, or a Devil.

Hopkins has told reporters in interviews this week, "If someone believes in God, who am I to argue with that? Who am I to question the faith of people like Einstein, Kepler, Charles Darwin, who were themselves great scientists and yet believed in a deity? I do read everything I can. For this project, I read On the Origin of Species, and I've read the Psalms of Bonhoeffer, and his life story. I've read everything I possibly can. The only certainty is death. My only philosophy is that if this is it, if this is the only life there is, I may as well enjoy it. And if it's not - maybe there's something beyond this, and this is all a dream - then I may as well enjoy it as well. It's a double-win situation."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wait, wait, wait. I'm confused. Einstein and Darwin were agnostics last time I checked. Am I missing something here?