Monday, December 13, 2010

Billy Graham & Richard Nixon

A piece of audio released by the Richard Nixon Library this past week revealed a conversation the former president had with Billy Graham. The previously unheard 8 minute phone conversation that took place April 11, 1973 showed that Graham predicted the investigation into the Watergate scandal would blow over. Graham assuring Nixon of his support. He also asked Nixon to consider a particular candidate to lead the Postal Service. Here's part of what Graham said:
“I really just wanted to reassure you of my support and prayers and love and backing and just tell you if there’s anything I can ever do, I want you to consider me a member of your team. We don’t know everything, but we know you, and that’s enough for us, and that’s what I intend to say publicly.”
It was later reported that Nixon said, “Don’t let Billy Graham near me, I don’t want him tarred with Watergate.”

No comments: