Sunday, January 25, 2009

Tom Hanks: Mormons UnAmerican

A few days ago, actor Tom Hanks said:
"The truth is a lot of Mormons gave a lot of money to the church to make
Proprosition 8 happen (the California initiative banning gay marriage). There
are a lot of people who feel that is un-American, and I am one of them."

He now tells People Magazine:

"Last week, I labeled members of the Mormon church who supported California's
Proposition 8 as "un-American." I believe Proposition 8 is counter to the
promise of our Constitution; it is codified discrimination. But everyone has a
right to vote their conscience -- nothing could be more American. To say members
of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints who contributed to
Proposition 8 are "un-American" creates more division when the time calls for
respectful disagreement. No one should use "un- American" lightly or in haste. I
did. I should not have."

No comments: