Sunday, April 13, 2008

Catholics and the Sacraments

A new survey called Sacraments Today: Belief and Practice Among U.S. Catholics found less than a third of adult Catholics (31%) attend mass on any given week. Here are some of the other findings.

67% doubt there is a hell
59% have a statue of picture of Mary on display in their home
52% say they pray the rosary
32% say they wear or carry a crucifix or cross
29% say they wear or carry a religious medal or in of a saint or angle
23% say they carry roaries

Can you be in good standing with the church without going to weekly Mass? Yes - 68%

I attend Mass at least once a month:
64% - older Catholics
36% - younger Catholics

I go to confession less than once a year - 30%
I never go to confession - 45%

Sacraments are essential to my faith. Yes – 62%

I am somewhat or very satisfied with the bishops' leadership.
2008 - 72%
2004 - 58%

Source: The Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate at Georgetown University.

No comments: